Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme
Duke of Edinburgh at St. Peter’s
The Duke of Edinburgh Award groups working towards Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards are a strong and vibrant part of our school community.
- You can do a Bronze DofE programme once you’re 14 (or nearly 14, which sometimes happens when you and your friends decide to start your adventure together. However, your Leader must agree this.)
- A Bronze DofE programme has 4 sections, Volunteering, Physical, Skills and Expedition. You must do a minimum of 3 months activity for each of the Volunteering, Physical and Skills sections, and plan, train for and do a 2 day (1 night) Expedition.
- You also have to spend an extra three months on one of the Volunteering, Physical or Skills sections. It’s your choice which one and, though you can change your mind later, you should decide which section you want to do for longer at the beginning. Knowing how long you’re going to do it for will help you to choose your activity and set your goals for each section.
- It will usually take you at least 6 months to complete your Bronze programme.
- The next step up from Bronze... you need to be at least 15 to start doing your Silver DofE programme. If you've achieved your Bronze Award, your Licensed Organisation may allow you to start your Silver a month or two before your 15th birthday.
- A Silver DofE programme has 4 sections, Volunteering, Physical, Skills and Expedition. You need to do at least 6 months Volunteering and a minimum of 6 months on either Physical or Skills and 3 months on the other. It’s up to you which one you do for longer.
- The Expedition section involves planning, training for and doing a 3 day (2 night) expedition.
- If you start your Silver without doing Bronze first you’ll have to do an extra 6 months volunteering or doing whichever of the Physical or Skills sections you have spent more time on. Though you can change your mind later, you should decide which section you want to do for longer at the beginning. Knowing how long you’re going to do it for will help you to choose your activity and set your goals for each section.
- It will take you at least 6 months for Silver if you've already achieved your Bronze.(or 12 months if you've jumped straight into Silver.)
- Once you are 16 you can do your Gold DofE programme. No activities can be counted for this before your 16th birthday.
- You’ll spend 12 months on your Volunteering section. For Physical and Skills you must spend 12 months on one and six months on the other - you decide which way round you do it.
- Your expedition will be for four days and three nights (plus an acclimatisation day) and should take place in 'wild country'.
- The big difference at Gold is you'll also do a Residential section - staying away from home for five days and four nights doing a shared activity with people you don't know. It's great fun and a real chance to do something different!
- If you’ve jumped straight into your Gold DofE programme you’ll need to do a further six months either volunteering or whichever one of your physical or skills activities you spent the most time on.
- For Gold, you'll need to do your programme for at least 12 months if you've achieved your Silver Award, or 18 months if you've started at Gold level without doing your Silver - even if you've done Bronze.
If you would like more information about the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme at St. Peter’s please come to talk to Mr. Gibson and Mrs. Carvell.
Visit the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award website at www.dofe.org